1/13/2009

Living My Best Life

Well, we're 2 weeks into the new year....I think statistics say that most people break their resolutions by the end of this week or month, or something crazy like that. That is the problem with most people--they think if they don't accomplish everything in the first month, then they have failed. I beg to differ. I think resolutions are year-long....life-long....and if it takes you a month to even get STARTED, you still haven't failed. You will never fail as long as you are continually trying to make an effort to achieve something more for yourself.

So I thought I would take a moment to give some updates on where I am with my goals. Of course, it's only the 2nd week of January! How much could I have achieved so far? LOL Anyhow, here's the update on some of them I've been able to address so far:

Set up automatic savings (10%) for me and for Kwabena (5%)
I just did this!! Our savings accounts are online, so it was so easy to set up the bi-weekly deductions. I used to do this, so it wasn't a whole new step for me. But to know that I'm back to putting money into savings automatically, I am very proud of myself for taking this step. This savings will serve as my emergency fund of 6-8 months of living expenses (another goal of mine).

Create a long-term debt reduction plan & Paying off my car
I haven't done this yet. In fact, I wasn't even sure what this would mean. I don't have any credit card debt, so the only debts that this pertains to is my 1) car loan, 2) student loans, and 3) mortgage. My other goal this year is to pay off my car by Dec 31, 2009. My long-term debt reduction plan is this: when my car gets paid off, whatever money was going towards my car would then go towards paying my student loan. So, for example, I am planning to double up my car payments for the next 12 months in order to pay it off 1 year early. After these doubled-up car payments pay off my car this year, I will apply those doubled-up car payments to what I am already paying per month on my student loan (considering all else remains the same). I haven't yet worked out the numbers to figure out how long that would translate to for my student loans. Considering the amount, at least 4 or 5 years maybe?? As for our mortgage, I think what is most reasonable is making 1 extra mortgage payment per year (maybe with a tax refund??) By doing so, the mortgage would get paid off early. At this point, I just need to document hard-core numbers and dates and amounts. But that is the plan!

Use cash only (credit card only when absolutely necessary, e.g. big-ticket items that will be paid off within 1 week).
I'm so excited about this one!! This past weekend I went both Saturday and Sunday and spent NO MONEY. I can't remember the last time I went two days in a row and spent no money! When Kwabena and I went to the thrift store to rummage around (one of our favorite weekend activities), I actually picked stuff up to buy and later, put it down. We walked out empty-handed. How liberating! I had found something online that said next time you are about to buy something, ask yourself the following questions:

Why am I here?
How do I feel?
Do I need this?
What if I wait?
How will I pay for it?
Where will I put it?

I printed this out and taped it to my credit card and bank card, as a reminder to NOT use them. As for cash, I just withdrew all the money I have to spend for the next two weeks for food, personal, etc., and I plan to keep only $20 on me at one time. What a way to prevent overspending, eh?

I started asking myself these questions and realized I didn't need to buy anything. Regarding food, I'm a big waster of food. I buy shit I plan to eat...let it sit in the fridge and go bad (or take up space in the cabinet)...then buy more shit when it goes bad or when I have no idea what I want to eat...How much money am I wasting?! So, I have decided to try to eat as much as possible of what's already in the house before even GOING to the store. So, for the past three days, I have only spent $3.00, and that was on gas yesterday morning. HA! I was too cheap to want to fill-up at the expensive station.

Create a working budget
The idea when I made this goal was that I would look at my 2008 spending (which I have kept track of every dollar possible) and draft a budget based on those numbers. But considering those numbers include tons of wastefull spending, it's hard to create a realistic budget. So I've decided that each payday, whatever is left after fixed expenses and savings, I would budget that money. Each month it may change, and that is okay.

Re-adjust 403(b) holdings to put 30% into bonds and 70% into stocks.
Haven't even touched this yet.

Create will, durable power of attorney, and other estate planning documents by April 2009.
Another one I haven't yet touched. Well, I'm lying; I did start on this, but part of what I need to do is update our Financial Outlook spreadsheet (I do this once or twice per year) in order to find out our net worth for the documents. For the 1 or 2 people (if that!) that actually read this, if you are looking for an easy site to use for creating your Will and stuff, check out www.suzeorman.com. Use the free password: peoplefirst (otherwise it costs $15 or something). It's actually a really great tool that asks you the right questions and fills in the forms for you. Just make sure to have a lawyer review it after you've drafted up all your documents.

Kiss Kwasi at least once a day
I suck at this. I think I've come to the realization that I don't really like to kiss (bacteria, plaque, gunk....). Even with clean teeth and breath, it's not really something I care for. Weird? Anyhow, I'm trying, though!

Go out to dinner or dancing with Kwasi, alone, at least once per month.
Well, this is another resolution I'm modifying a little bit. This past weekend me, Kwasi, and Kwabena went to a house "get-together" at a college friend's place. We decided to take Kwabena instead of asking Kwasi's mom to babysit. We had fun! There was a little girl there (age 3) and she and Kwabena played so well together, until we left at midnight! So, I'm revising this goal to to include Kwabena, when appropriate :)

Take a photography class and Sign up for swim classes with Kwabena
I'll do this in the spring. The winter classes are all full. I'm also considering some sewing classes, because I reallllly want to perfect my skill.

Take a CPR class
Haven't touched this one yet, but I am going to look for the class this week.

Read at least one book every 2 months.
I think I should be able to crank out 1 book every month! At work, parking has become horrific, so now part of my commute involves taking the shuttle. That 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon creates an extras 2.5 hours of reading time in my week! WHOO HOO!

Take a class on how to start a business.
I realize that I may just be able to get a really awesome book or online site and get the same info.

Make at least one (baby) carrier a month.
This weekend I was in my zone! It was Friday night, Kwasi was sleeping, Kwabena was sleeping, and there I was, feeling the creative flow. I actually finished a carrier that I had started some number of months ago. Oh, it felt wonderful to create. I love taking raw materials and creating them into something well-constructed and beautiful. The carrier turned out awesome. And when we went to visit an old college friend of Kwasi's on Sunday night (he and his wife have a 2-week-old daughter), I gave her the carrier as a gift. I can't wait until the baby is old enough and big enough to use it!

Approach at least two businesses re: selling my carriers and Develop a marketing plan.
I haven't even touched this yet. But I am planning to participate in a craft show in the fall, so I will need a supply of carriers for then!

Manage my sugar intake
My dad had diabetes and died of a heart attack at 48, so the genetic predisposition is there for me to develop diabetes, as well, even though I am not overweight and appear perfectly normal. I have to watch my sugar and bad carb intake because I am very mildly insulin resistant. I plan to get my A1c tested every 3 months and make sure it gets, and stays, below 6%. I'm aiming for 5.5%!

Obtain weight of 150 lbs
I'm 158 now, so 8 lbs to go (although I do fluctuate between 156 and 158, I'll go with 158).

Do cardio 3x per week and Weight training 2x per week
This was my 2008 goal that I was able to meet, so I thought I would leave it for 2009. Nothing wrong with a little reminder, eh? But just yesterday I heard Oprah's Bob Greene say that for results, you really need to get 60 minutes of cardio at least 5 days a week for women. It's just harder for us! So, instead of my usual 30 mintues 3x per week, I'm going to aim for 5 days, 60 minutes. WHEW......And 10-15 minutes of weight training.

Take multivitamin daily
Shoot, I forgot to take my vitamin today..... Well, when I can remember, I do it.

Evaluate at least 3 certification programs
My career is last. LOL. I haven't even touched this yet.

So..................overall, very excited about what 2009 brings :)

No comments:

Statcounter