Can you believe that the first quarter of 2009 is just about over? Really....I can't. I just don't believe it. When 2009 had rolled around, I counted the days to the end of the first quarter. There were over 100, I believe. And here we only have 12 days left.
So this might be a good time to discuss--what have a really accomplished?
Time for a check-up:
MY GOALS
Money
• Pay off my car.
• Create a working budget.
• Create a long-term debt reduction plan.
• Use cash only (credit card only when absolutely necessary, e.g. big-ticket items that will be paid off within 1 week).
• Create an emergency fund with 6-9 months of fixed living expenses.
• Set up automatic savings with 10% for me; 5% for Kwabena.
• Re-adjust 403(b) holdings to put 30% into bonds and 70% into stocks.
• Create will, durable power of attorney, and other estate planning documents by April 2009.
UPDATE: Well, I'm curious about whether I'll be able to make my extra $300 payment this month towards my car. Things are so tight financially because of everything I'm trying to save. I put 10% into retirement, and after taxes, I'm saving $320/month in my savings, and $100 a month in Kwabena's savings. Afterwards, there's not really much left. Thank God Kwasi picks up daycare costs usually, because there is nothing left for daycare. I have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for daycare costs, but believe me, it seems like a lot more is going out and coming into that account. I don't know how single parents/single income families manage!
The good news is that I've been doing really well with surviving on a cash-only system. Only a couple times I have broken my rule when I am at work and have no cash, but need something to snack on; then I use my bank card. But this rarely happens. Overall, I live on cash only, and it has totally changed my spending habits--if I don't have enough cash for it, then I don't get it! The other day I went into Target and had $3.09 in my wallet. LOL...What I needed to buy (a 1/2 gal of soymilk and a box of mac-n-cheese) came to $3.07! YIKES!
I still haven't begun working on a will and other important documents that I KNOW I should have in place. My goal was to complete those prior to the end of 1st quarter 2009. Hmm....better get on that! I only have a little more than a week left ;-)
Relationships
• Kiss Kwasi at least once a day.
• Once per week do something special for Kwasi.
• Go out to dinner or dancing with Kwasi, alone, at least once per month.
UPDATE: Well, I have failed miserably at this leg of my goals. :( I don't kiss Kwasi as often as I should, nor do I do something special for him. I really should...I often spend so much time on sewing in the evenings...or on Facebook (damn Facebook....that time-zapper....)....or doing something else, and I tend not to put the time and effort into my relationship as I should. We have, however, gone out and had some fun, though, not alone. A couple weeks ago we went to the 52nd Independence Day celebration at the Ghana Embassy, which was a lot of fun, minus having to chase Kwabena around the whole time! But it was fun going :)
Education and Recreation
• Take a photography class.
• Take a CPR class
• Sign up for swim classes with Kwabena.
• Read at least one book every 2 months.
UPDATE: My reading dropped off significantly in the last couple weeks since I finished a book and never found my next novel. Taking the shuttle to and from work for part of my trip as afforded me an extra 30 minutes a day (2.5 hours a week!) of reading time, so I gotta get back on my reading.
As for photography, I definitely decided that I could pick up a book and learn something new, for cheaper than a class. Since money is an issue (see above), I am trying to go as cheaply as possible. I found some cool photography books on Amazon that I plan to order soon.
Haven't signed up for a CPR class (yet).....
And Kwabena and I are scheduled for swim classes next month! :)
Mellow Joe
• Take a class on how to start a business.
• Make at least one carrier a month.
• Update MellowJoe.com.
• Approach at least two businesses re: selling my carriers.
• Develop a marketing plan.
UPDATE: I have been making at least one carrier a month! Actually, I have an arts and crafts center that I will be taking my carriers to, to be sold on a consignment basis! I have 4 completed, and will hopefully be finishing up the last 2. This past week it's been hard to sew because of exhaustion, and having a work trip to take the earlier part of the week and such. But I'm just happy to be sewing again! I have decided not to take a business on starting a business, because I think there is plenty of (FREE) information online about what needs to happen to make it happen. So that's the route I'm going to go.
I'm still updating my website, www.MellowJoe.com. I was in the process of potentially hiring someone to do the logo design and website branding for me, but his cost was going to be $1,000. Seriously, I don't have that kind of money at this point in the game for all of that. I would gladly just do it myself. I'm sure it won't look as professional, but again, at this point....
I have only approached one business so far. The other business I might go to this weekend to see if I could carry my carriers there.
Health
• Manage my sugar intake
• Obtain weight of 150 lbs
• Do cardio 3x per week.
• Weight training 2x per week
• Take multivitamin daily
UPDATE: Awful, awful, awful! I am scheduled to get bloodwork done to test my A1C next month, and I can only imagine what it will be. I have not been eating sweets as frequently as before, but I surely haven't cut them out. The good news is that my weight and body look great. I have gotten down to 154 pounds (my normal set-weight I will always identify with is 150....so....doing good there). I have toned up very nicely, although there are still places I need to work on. For example, my arms are like "whoa!" I'm impressed! I remember when I couldn't even do a single boy push-up. Now when I go to the gym, I am pushing out sets of 20-15-10-10-10. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. My abs are really taking shape, as well (although, I'll never be able to get rid of the little post-partum pouch...*sigh*....).
I am doing more weight training now than cardio. I know the cardio is important, but I don't want to waste away. LOL....People have commented that I have already lost too much weight (I don't agree), but I do agree that I don't need to lose any more. And I think toning and sculpting at this point will more important, with a little cardio mixed in.
HA--I ran out of multivitamins and am too broke to buy more right now ;-)
Career
• Evaluate at least 3 certification programs.
UPDATE: Career is totally on hold. I'm very focused on my sewing and doing my own side-thing...so this is something I am not really persuing right now, although at some point I know I will have to figure it out. But I am enjoying my position right now, because of all the perks ;-)
SUMMARY: So, in essense, things are going pretty good with me. There are still some things I need to focus on (get your will done, Serena!!!). But the main goal was to get myself together financially (not that I was in bad shape, per se, but my spending and savings habits could have been improved drastically). And I'm doing that, so that accounts for something! :)
More updates later....Now, off to do that will and estate planning now....
So this might be a good time to discuss--what have a really accomplished?
Time for a check-up:
MY GOALS
Money
• Pay off my car.
• Create a working budget.
• Create a long-term debt reduction plan.
• Use cash only (credit card only when absolutely necessary, e.g. big-ticket items that will be paid off within 1 week).
• Create an emergency fund with 6-9 months of fixed living expenses.
• Set up automatic savings with 10% for me; 5% for Kwabena.
• Re-adjust 403(b) holdings to put 30% into bonds and 70% into stocks.
• Create will, durable power of attorney, and other estate planning documents by April 2009.
UPDATE: Well, I'm curious about whether I'll be able to make my extra $300 payment this month towards my car. Things are so tight financially because of everything I'm trying to save. I put 10% into retirement, and after taxes, I'm saving $320/month in my savings, and $100 a month in Kwabena's savings. Afterwards, there's not really much left. Thank God Kwasi picks up daycare costs usually, because there is nothing left for daycare. I have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for daycare costs, but believe me, it seems like a lot more is going out and coming into that account. I don't know how single parents/single income families manage!
The good news is that I've been doing really well with surviving on a cash-only system. Only a couple times I have broken my rule when I am at work and have no cash, but need something to snack on; then I use my bank card. But this rarely happens. Overall, I live on cash only, and it has totally changed my spending habits--if I don't have enough cash for it, then I don't get it! The other day I went into Target and had $3.09 in my wallet. LOL...What I needed to buy (a 1/2 gal of soymilk and a box of mac-n-cheese) came to $3.07! YIKES!
I still haven't begun working on a will and other important documents that I KNOW I should have in place. My goal was to complete those prior to the end of 1st quarter 2009. Hmm....better get on that! I only have a little more than a week left ;-)
Relationships
• Kiss Kwasi at least once a day.
• Once per week do something special for Kwasi.
• Go out to dinner or dancing with Kwasi, alone, at least once per month.
UPDATE: Well, I have failed miserably at this leg of my goals. :( I don't kiss Kwasi as often as I should, nor do I do something special for him. I really should...I often spend so much time on sewing in the evenings...or on Facebook (damn Facebook....that time-zapper....)....or doing something else, and I tend not to put the time and effort into my relationship as I should. We have, however, gone out and had some fun, though, not alone. A couple weeks ago we went to the 52nd Independence Day celebration at the Ghana Embassy, which was a lot of fun, minus having to chase Kwabena around the whole time! But it was fun going :)
Education and Recreation
• Take a photography class.
• Take a CPR class
• Sign up for swim classes with Kwabena.
• Read at least one book every 2 months.
UPDATE: My reading dropped off significantly in the last couple weeks since I finished a book and never found my next novel. Taking the shuttle to and from work for part of my trip as afforded me an extra 30 minutes a day (2.5 hours a week!) of reading time, so I gotta get back on my reading.
As for photography, I definitely decided that I could pick up a book and learn something new, for cheaper than a class. Since money is an issue (see above), I am trying to go as cheaply as possible. I found some cool photography books on Amazon that I plan to order soon.
Haven't signed up for a CPR class (yet).....
And Kwabena and I are scheduled for swim classes next month! :)
Mellow Joe
• Take a class on how to start a business.
• Make at least one carrier a month.
• Update MellowJoe.com.
• Approach at least two businesses re: selling my carriers.
• Develop a marketing plan.
UPDATE: I have been making at least one carrier a month! Actually, I have an arts and crafts center that I will be taking my carriers to, to be sold on a consignment basis! I have 4 completed, and will hopefully be finishing up the last 2. This past week it's been hard to sew because of exhaustion, and having a work trip to take the earlier part of the week and such. But I'm just happy to be sewing again! I have decided not to take a business on starting a business, because I think there is plenty of (FREE) information online about what needs to happen to make it happen. So that's the route I'm going to go.
I'm still updating my website, www.MellowJoe.com. I was in the process of potentially hiring someone to do the logo design and website branding for me, but his cost was going to be $1,000. Seriously, I don't have that kind of money at this point in the game for all of that. I would gladly just do it myself. I'm sure it won't look as professional, but again, at this point....
I have only approached one business so far. The other business I might go to this weekend to see if I could carry my carriers there.
Health
• Manage my sugar intake
• Obtain weight of 150 lbs
• Do cardio 3x per week.
• Weight training 2x per week
• Take multivitamin daily
UPDATE: Awful, awful, awful! I am scheduled to get bloodwork done to test my A1C next month, and I can only imagine what it will be. I have not been eating sweets as frequently as before, but I surely haven't cut them out. The good news is that my weight and body look great. I have gotten down to 154 pounds (my normal set-weight I will always identify with is 150....so....doing good there). I have toned up very nicely, although there are still places I need to work on. For example, my arms are like "whoa!" I'm impressed! I remember when I couldn't even do a single boy push-up. Now when I go to the gym, I am pushing out sets of 20-15-10-10-10. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. My abs are really taking shape, as well (although, I'll never be able to get rid of the little post-partum pouch...*sigh*....).
I am doing more weight training now than cardio. I know the cardio is important, but I don't want to waste away. LOL....People have commented that I have already lost too much weight (I don't agree), but I do agree that I don't need to lose any more. And I think toning and sculpting at this point will more important, with a little cardio mixed in.
HA--I ran out of multivitamins and am too broke to buy more right now ;-)
Career
• Evaluate at least 3 certification programs.
UPDATE: Career is totally on hold. I'm very focused on my sewing and doing my own side-thing...so this is something I am not really persuing right now, although at some point I know I will have to figure it out. But I am enjoying my position right now, because of all the perks ;-)
SUMMARY: So, in essense, things are going pretty good with me. There are still some things I need to focus on (get your will done, Serena!!!). But the main goal was to get myself together financially (not that I was in bad shape, per se, but my spending and savings habits could have been improved drastically). And I'm doing that, so that accounts for something! :)
More updates later....Now, off to do that will and estate planning now....
No comments:
Post a Comment