10/21/2011

Back on Track!!!

Out of Control Spending!

How many times have you heard that you should use "cash only" because you are so much more likely to spend frivlously when you use a credit card or debit card? **raising my hand**. This is something I have consistently struggled with, because I have stuck my head in the sand on numerous occasions in an attempt to ignore how much money I truly spend. Haven't you?? A couple months recently I look at my spending (I track alllll of my receipts, however, I usually don't do it soon enough to curb any excess spending that particular month. Grrrrrr.....) and I had spend about $800 on food for that money, NOT INCLUDING the $200 on eating out and snacks out. WTH.....?????

Spending in that manner without any true concept of what you've actually spent is the worse feeling of out-of-control-ness that I could ever feel. It's the worse!! It's like an addiction!! You get that shopping high, or "money spending" high, and you spend, spend, spend, with no regards to a budget, etc.

That's been my problem.

Now.....don't misunderstand me. I'm not at the malls shopping for clothes....or buying tons of books or DVDs.......or other crap online. I'm buying FOOD. I have literally stopped at the store damn-near every day after work, spending $20 here.....$80 there....$50 more.....It's ridiculous.

CASH ONLY!

Meh......This would work for me for only ONE WEEK. You read correctly--one week. I'd go the whole first week after payday, using cash, feeling IN CONTROL of my money and spending habits, and then the second week after payday, I'd blow it to hell. Simple excuses like, "Oh, I need to stop and buy a few things at Trader Joe's, but I don't have cash on me--I never made it to the bank...And the bank is all the way down the road....Ah, shit, I'll just use my card." And what should have been a $20 shopping trip turns into a $50 shopping trip.

Happened to me all the time!

All because I was too lazy to make another trip to the bank.......Yes. But I also felt, by Week #2 after payday, that I was restricting myself and hated feeling like I had to count every single penny.

New Motivation!

But two weeks ago, I got a fire lit under my ass after reading some of my favorite financial blog sites, and I began to feel this intense desire to:



  1. Put a HALT on frivolous spending,

  2. Use cash only,

  3. Stay OUT of the grocery stores and use up whatever is in the house,

  4. (MOST IMPORTANT) To generate some additional income via Craigstlist!!!!

I have been a part of a money group (a.k.a. Sista Cents--HOLLA!!), and we've met about four times now. But the group really has not taken off. It's not motivated me the way in which I had hoped. So, I decided that I can really get myself motivated by joining some of my favorite communties' discussions and blogs, (my most favorite is The Simple Dollar, which I wake up and read first thing every morning), and really begin to create the financial life I am looking for.


I also love reading Enemy of Debt for its straight-forward, no-frills advice and motivation to eliminate debt.


So, yeah, I'm feelign back on track!! Not only have I been using cash-only for 2 weeks now, but I also have been doing things generate some sales on Craigslist. I sold an old dresser that my real estate agent had passed to me, that I felt I couldn't use.........................I sold a pair of Nike AirMax sneakers that I had bought about 6 years ago in which to practice with a basketball team, which I ended up abandoning after one practice session (sorry, ladies!!)......and I have even begun contracting out my outstanding editing services to a guy that answered an ad on Craigslist for my editings and proofreading services. :)


I have also listed my son's previous model car seat.....and have listed several books on my new blog, Thrifty Goods, that I will be using to sell things. I also have decided that I'll be reselling used items that I can find via yard sales and/or thrift stores.


And I'm also going to return to my sewing, making small handbags, that I will begin selling again. Perhaps get back into making baby carriers as well. Sorry I don't have pictures of these items!! I'm really quite good! :)


So theree you have it.....I'm getting back on track....creating the financial life that I am looking for......and feeling oh-so-inspired to get off my fat 9-month-pregnant ass and be productive! :)


Serena


No comments:

Statcounter