11/02/2011

No Restaurants in November 2011

Imagine going a whole month without eating out at a restaurant for a whole month......not buying a candy bar from a vending machine.....Not even a piece of candy at a convenience store...... Crazy, right?

Well, then call me crazy, because that is what I'm going to do!

A year ago I discovered an awesome personal finance blog called Enemy of Debt; in fact, it was at this time last year, and the blog took on the challenge of NO eating out for a whole month. I wasn't ready at that time, but I did think it was interesting enough to subscribe to the blog. So imagine my excitement when I realized that the blog was going to do another "No Restaurants in November 2011" challenge this month!

The rules are simple (taken directly from the Enemy of Debt site):

The Rules of the Road

  • Eating out consists of buying any food from any place that could have been made at home.
  • In other words, everything you eat or drink will have to come from the grocery store — no exceptions!
  • No snack machines, or convenient store foods or snacks. (For us this would include Starbucks Coffee, because we can make coffee at home much cheaper.)
  • Specifically track your grocery spending on paper. (Record EVERY dollar spent on food.)
  • Save as much as you can! Track and record your savings each and every week! (also on paper)
  • Editor’s Note: If your business meals and eating out costs are due to traveling with your company, it does not count against you in this challenge. If you are not paying for those meals, or are reimbursed, you can still take my challenge and succeed!
Do you think you have what it takes to succeed? Well, I do!!

Let's get it started!!!!

2 comments:

Brad Chaffee said...

Hope you're doing great! More than halfway through the month. I have had a few close calls but nothing I couldn't handle. LOL

Really just weak moments where we would normally opt for eating out for convenience but we stayed strong!

Good luck! :D

P.S. I love your blog btw! I could very easily justify being the enemy of procrastination as well. LOL Sometimes I'm bad at it and other times I'm still bad at it. A work in progress! :D

serena said...

Brad! So happy to see you stopped by! You're like the first person here. Lol. I use my blog as more of a journal that just happens to be open to the public :)

Glad to hear the challenge is going well for you. I am surprised how not tempted I am. I don't miss eating out one bit! And to think of eating out again makes me slightly guilty because I have proven that I really don't NEED to eat out. Besides,though: eating out is expensive! I have been on a cash-only system for over a month. And to pull $40-$60 out of my envelope to pay.for a single meal, knowing I could buy a bag full of groceries...well, where is the logic?

Anyhow, I have only bought food out once (aside from those GS cookies and the candy bar). We picked up pizza. But we had a good excuse. Our baby was born (yay!) And by the time we were out of labor and delivery and in our recovery room, the kitchen was closed. So we had to spend $20 on pizza. That was as good enough reason as any for "breaking" the challenge,huh? However, all that aside, I WILL finish out this month, and possibly keep going (!) into December!! Thanks for the inspiration, my friend. :)

Statcounter