Although I have dubbed 2012 The Year of Challenges, there are some other things I am attempting to achieve:
Goals
Drafting Necessary "Life" Documents
This is something that I have been meaning to do since 2009 (!!!). I actually did draft them in early 2009, via Suze Orman's website, which were amazingly simple and easy to just fill in the necessary information. But, with the birth of our second son, I knew that the documents would need to be revised. So I held off with the documents. Here we are entering 2012 and I still don't have these things done, and I still haven't identified an attorney to review them for me. So, this is priority, for January 2012!!
Get Life Insurance
I tried to get life insurance about 6 months ago, but because of some things in my medical record, they made an incorrect assumption about a non-existant medical condition, and they were going to make me wait until after delivery before issuing me a policy. I contacted them about their erroneous mistake regarding my health and medical record and was told they would look in to it, and never heard back from them. So, I will find another company and will start the process over. I am hoping to get a $750,000 policy. Hubby got a $750,000 in 2011, which is awesome! Makes me feel better knowing we're protected.
A Year of Gift-Giving
Every year, Christmas puts a sour taste in my mouth. It's a love-hate relationship I have with the holiday, because not only do I love this time of year and the homey feeling in evokes, but I also loathe this whole "shopping season" propaganda that's put into your head, chanting that you must buy gifts for people. Often times, I'm sure people will just buy something to feel like they've done what they are supposed to do. And I can't stand holidays that are drilling into society what they SHOULD do (e.g. buying gifts).
I know that Christmas and the holiday season CAN be quite authentic and giving. And I think I do need some help with being more giving. So I have decided that 2012 will be a year of giving: each month, non-birthday months, I will gift a gift or provide a service for someone important in my life.
Get Organized
This one is on everyone's list, I'm sure! What I need the most is a cleaning schedule and some general cleaning "rules" (or, guidelines, really) for staying organized, such as:
- Never go to bed with a dirty house. For example, dishes must be done before bed!
- Find a place for everything. Eliminate clutter!
Follow-Through
This is perhaps one of the most important (other than getting our documents in order!). I'm notorious for starting many a projects, only to abandon them when something else in which I am interested comes along--knitting projects (like that sweater for Kwasi that I never finished!).......painting projects around the house......You name it! So, each month, I will tackle an unfinished project and I will complete it (all the while, I'm sure I'll be doing other new projects, but I must work on "old" projects and complete them, first and foremost!).
Lose 30 Pounds
Yep--another one that everyone has on their list. But, mine is valid!! :) I had my third-born son recently and gained 51 pounds (at least!). I have lost about 25 now, so I have more to go. I actually would like to get to 155 pounds, which is slightly less than my pre-pregnancy weight, but more than my "normal" weight of what I have always been. I'll give myself a few extra pounds since I'm older ;-). I have started Weight Watchers for the past 3 weeks, and now that I'm cleared to workout, I will start doing my Tae Bo Cardio Bootcamp, as well as beginning a running program.
Go to Hawaii!
A friend of mine is turning 40 in 2012 (December!), and is hosting a girls-only-40th-birthday trip to Hawaii. Yes! I'm going! I have had this penciled in over the last year since being invited, but now that we're headed into 2012, time to start saving for it! I will save $50 per paycheck ($100 per month), and will have $1,200 for the trip come December, which will cover plane fare and spending cash. She is picking up board :) I'll be enjoying the trip while showing off my new body :)
Repair and Decorate My House
We bought our house mid-2010, and for the past year have been working on it--removing wallpaper, painting, etc. Some time ago I had a moisture evaluation done and it yielded some repairs that we need to address. Because many of these involve finances needed, and I don't know what our finances will look like, I can't say exactly how many of these repairs/issues we'll be able to address. But, I will try to address at least one of these repairs/issues at least every 2 months, depending on cost and/or time needed to address. First things we will do no later than March 31, 2012 is to regrade around the house and install a vent in the master bathroom.
As for decorating, I will do project per quarter to improve the house. For example, 1st quarter, I will tackle the kids' bathroom. Second quarter, I will tackle the laundry room. Third quarter I will tackle the basement. Fourth quarter I will use for addressing the rest of the rooms.
Take a Family Summer Vacation
I have no idea where we will go, but we will make it happen! We've never done this, sadly....
Organize My Photos
I kid you not when I say I probably have 20,000 pictures on my computer, external hard drive, printed out......And I wish I could say that they are organized nicely. But they aren't! I will work on organizing them, and will think more about a way to honor them :)
Take a Woodworking Class!
I'm super excited about this, because I want to learn how to use power tools, and learn to build furniture. I also want to eventually establish a workshop in the garage in 4th quarter 2012. Woo hoo! I will find tools used/second hand.
Increase My Income
I would like to increase my income, through buying/selling thrift store items (see January's challenge below), as well as signing up and participating in mystery shopping, and hopefully, finding a new job that pays better, with more responsibility. More on that later....
Read One Book Per Month
I really haven't read much in 2011. This must change for 2012.....
Buy a Minivan
Without financing...?? Or financing very little for 3 years max??? Haven't thought this one out yet.
The Year of the Challenges
I had wanted to assign each month a new challenge (in addition to all the other stuff that I want to do!), and that is what I am going to do. But I just haven't laid it out yet because I am not sure what those challenges look like. But here's a simple layout, and this may change, so :
January - Challenge myself to see how much I can turn $100 into, via buying used items via thrift stores, yard sales, Craig's List, etc., then reselling them. I can also sell items around the house, as well. But primarily it will be finding items in thrift stores and selling them.
February - Challenge myself to do 200 push-ups per day.
March - Challenge to go to sleep no later than 10 p.m. Ideally, I will get 8 hours of sleep if I wake at 6 p.m., but of course, that will depend on the baby's waking schedule!
April - Find one item for donation, per day, in my house.
May - ??????
Well.......It's 11:54 p.m.!!!! More on this to come!!!
Let's start 2012 off right!!!!! WOO HOO!!!
P.S. Hubby just fell asleep in the chair, holding the baby! Better wake him up!
Serena
No comments:
Post a Comment